While I use the phrase Home Based Business, most of the below points are useful in other businesses too.
1. Content : The best marketing tool for your online business is the content. No matter how many tactics you use to promote your website, you will get repeated users only when there is a quality content. With the advent of technologies day after day, people are expecting different patterns in content like images, videos, flash etc.
It is up to you to choose the way you like to present your content. You can outsource this to other freelancers.
2. Research : You can never say you know so much especially in this fast changing internet world. Research is the basis for providing good content. You have to keep yourself updated to provide a latest content. The article what you have written today may become obsolete in a month’s time. Be aware of what it is happening.
You can do this research easier by using internet, search engines or also by subscribing to e-books.
3. Network : Network has become a very important factor in every one’s success along with what they have. There is saying in business – It is not what you have is important, it is whom you know is important. Though I do not 100% agree with this statement (as your content/offering products are also important), there is a truth in that statement.
4. Promote it ! : Within few days of starting the business, you will come to know about lot of responsibilities. One of the most important one is promotion. Unless you promote what you are offering, how do they know what is available for them. You can use forums, social sites, paid advertising, article marketing, web directory site submissions etc.
5. Customer Service : Your business is your customers. Remember this all through your life – the best marketing method ever found was customer satisfaction.
While content and promotion is very important for any one to get business, customer satisfaction also is equally important to get more and repeated business. Satisfied customers gives you more orders and refers to others. Hence, you need to have a good customer service, respond to customer’s email promptly, take time to ensure that the customer is satisfied. Be Honest for any mistakes from your side. Do not try to mask them. Honesty pays back in long term.