Development, Security, and Operations are the three most important pillars of the organizational life cycle. It ensures that the organization is growing at its planned pace, the data and crucial information are well secured and the entire organization is meeting and delivering its expected results. This blog will make you aware of DevSecOps.
What is DevSecOps?
DevSecOps is the abbreviation used for the combination of Development, Security, and Operations. The blend of DevSecOps helps in smoothing the Software Development Lifecycle by integrating security at all levels from initiating designs to integration, testing, deployment, and the delivery of the software. DevSecOps is considered an important and much-needed evolution toward organizational security and development.
For breaking the bottleneck of the old approach of software up-gradation which use to extricate once or twice a year to small regular intervals like daily or weekly. DevSecOps and Agile practices support the newer approach for saving time, utilizing resources, and ensuring utmost security. Along with secured and seamless integration, DevSecOps also aims to deliver safer sooner software without impairing the speed and performance of the software.
Now let’s talk about the benefits of DevSecOps.
Benefits of DevSecOps
The main benefits of Development Security Operations are better delivery with secure and faster codes which sums up the entire process as seamless and cheaper.
- Faster and cost-effective: In a non-DevSecOps environment the major concern is security which tends to delay the delivery as well. Finding and rectifying errors in code also consumes a lot of time and incurred high costs. Whereas DevSecOps offers faster delivery along with error-free security assurance which results in quicker, smoother, and cheaper delivery. DevSecOps eliminates duplicated entries and unnecessary rebuilds during the software integration.
- Modern and combative security: Development Security Operations inaugurate cyber security along with the development cycle. The codes get scanned, reviewed, and tested in real-time throughout the development cycle for locating security issues. Whenever there is some error found the system automatically fixes it using the protective technology. A good combination between development security and operations enhances the productivity of the organization and it results in delivering high quality secure and error-free work.
- Easy Adaptation and Automation: DevSecOps ensures that the system adapts the consistency along with measuring security by going hand in hand with the new requirements of changing environment. DevSecOps implementation simplifies configuration management, immutable infrastructure, orchestration, and automation during serverless compute environments.
- Improves vulnerability patching of security: DevSecOps offers quick management of newly discovered security vulnerabilities. The development cycle integrates vulnerability patching and scanning to identify common vulnerabilities and exposures.
- Simply satisfying automation with modern development: It can help in integrating into the automated test suite for the organizational development security & operations. DevSecOps ships the software using a continuous integration/continuous delivery pipeline and SAAS ETL for scaling modern data infrastructure.
Best Practices for DevSecOps
Development Security Operations can be the voluntary incorporation of security control for the implementation of development, delivery, and operational procedure for the organization. Traceability, Audibility, and Visibility are the lead process for DevSecOps for a deeper insight, finer, and more secure environment for your organization:
- Traceability: In DevSecOps traceability allows you to track configuration items across the development cycle to where requirements are implemented in the code. This can play a crucial part in your organization’s control framework as it helps achieve compliance, reduce bugs, ensure secure code in application development, and help code maintainability.
- Audibility: Itis important for ensuring compliance with security controls. Technical, procedural, and administrative security controls need to be auditable, well-documented and adhered to by all team members.
- Visibility: Visibility is a good management practice in general, but very important for a DevSecOps environment. This means the organization has a solid monitoring system in place to measure the heartbeat of the operation, send alerts, increase awareness of changes and cyberattacks as they occur, and provide accountability during the whole project lifecycle.
DevSecOps is the methodology that focuses on ensuring the security of software development processes with the help of integrating the security for the software development processing vitality. The easiest way to describe the variations is to say:
With this strategy, security efforts are integrated into the continuous development and integration (CD/CI) pipeline, which includes taking security into account both at the initial stages of development and at each subsequent stage.
Security is taken into account by the DevSecOps approach, however, it is not given high priority. In-house information security teams sometimes arrive too late to address security issues, and DevOps teams frequently lack the tools necessary to deploy front-to-back security safeguards.
This phrase both metaphorically and physically places security at the conclusion of the development process. The DevOps team creates and releases the app first, and then information security closes any security holes. Although a lack of security is preferable to none, strong security must be maintained at all stages of a product’s development lifecycle.
In this blog, you will flip through the overall insights about DevSecOps. Read thoroughly to understand the benefits of Development security and operations for your organization and how it is better than the conventional practices of security. Read the blog for detailed information.
Q. Is DevSecOps cybersecurity?
Ans. DevSecOps is a part of cybersecurity, and cybersecurity is a part of DevSecOps. Though DevSecOps and cybersecurity both focus on enhancing security, the main difference between them lies in their scope and the way we use them.
Q. What is the DevSecOps model?
Ans. DevSecOps refers to the integration of security practices into a DevOps software delivery model. Its foundation is a culture where development and operations are enabled through process and tooling to take part in a shared responsibility for delivering secure software.
Q. What is Lyftrondata, and how will it protect your data journey?
Ans. Lyftrondata is a market-leading, next-generation agile data delivery platform with a contemporary cloud data warehouse and lake. Lyftrondata offers codeless integration with diverse data from more than 300 SAAS applications. It offers multi-level end-to-end encryption and recovery of enterprise-level secured data.